Monday, October 22, 2007

Friends of a vagabond

One of my best friends is getting married today. Actually by the time I am writing this post, she must have got married already. Things are not going to be the same anymore. How much we say we can still be the same, it isn’t the same. Life changes and it is changing fast now. Back then in the good old days, we go to college, attend the class, chat in the cafe, pass comments on others, laugh at each other and just forget the day. We forget that day because the next day was going to be the same. Nothing happened to change our lives in those days. Exam results were forgotten within a week, own love rejects were used as topic for chitchats. Bunking classes were part of life. Life ahead was just as clear as the sky. We just did not know what was beyond that and did not care much about it either. Once in a while, we would look up at the sky watching the clouds making shapes that would make us think what it is doing up there? It would make us wonder, what it would be like flying in the sky. But right then, with the sound of the friend calling you, you turn back to see the present. And the present remained the same every day. If we have a fight, we knew it won’t matter the next day. We did not believe it would harm our future. We lived as if everyday is the last day, only day and the same day as every other day in our life.

Things are not the same anymore. We live in our world where change is nothing but everlasting. We meet new people; make new friends; reorder our priorities in life. A best friend in college becomes a person from the past. Life reduced to "Good morning" mails to all friends added to the mailing list. That’s how we keep in touch with others. And occasionally one would call the other and ask "Where are you?" rather than "How are you?” We really have lost contact with one another. And living in the Indian software industry world, even friends are found as short term projects. We move from place to place trying to make a living leaving the dear ones behind. We meet new people and friendship gets confused with fellowship. We make friends faster but they are short lived as we have to move on to new places. So we find more persons there and the earlier friends are past who you would ask "Where are you?" very soon.

I move around different places doing what we call work, while my friends cant recall my face as I have not seen them for years; friends who forgot me because they thought I forgot them; friends who were so close to me but found disputes and had our fights which are not going to be forgotten unlike those college days. Living the life of a vagabond, I have always thought if there is a way I could make my life better. But is it just my imagination that my life could be better. Anyways, you should know that whenever I see my mobile to search the contacts and happen to move across the phone number of my friends whom I might ask "Where are you?" or "How are you?" and just for a second, the good old days come back to my mind and it makes me smile.

What's the point of all these talks? Trying to appear as if I am very much moved by the changes around me. Yeah. I am disturbed. But what the hell? It is all part of life. Just Live with it.

PS: This post wont make sense even to me tomorrow

3 comments:

All Dimensions said...

This is what i mean with this quote " Ship in the harbour is safe but that is not the ships are built for". we all feel safe n happy with our close friends around us but that is not why we are here... ;) Nice philosophy know...

INJEY! said...

yeah! very true indeed

Shanks_P said...

this post makes perfect sense to me ....
1. When browsing thru the contacts, the old contact name flashes with so many memories ....

2. Forgetting a person and meeting them else where unexpected and finding it really good to know that we met again ;) ......