Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year - Once again

Yes! 2008 is here. The year has changed again. Its been changing at an interval of 365 days for the last 3 times and at an interval 366 days before that. But for software professionals like us, the New Year rarely changes exactly at 365 or 366 days. For example, when 2005 started I was in India. But when it was changing to 2006, I was in UK which celebrated 5.5 hrs later than Indian time. So I enjoyed 365 days and 5.5 hrs in 2005. But then when the year changed to 2007, I was back in India by which I was in 2006 for only 355 days and 18.5 hrs. This appeared to have balanced the extra 5.5 hrs I enjoyed in 2005. But what can I say, this year I am in US and celebrated New Year 10.5 hrs later than the previous year which means there was 365 days and 10.5 hrs in 2007 and 'My Manager knows' how many days I will have in 2008. Its wicked that being in IT field makes even the calendar unpredictable.

And here are the questions for the New Year.

1. Where were you when the clock stuck 12 and the year changed from 2007 to 2008?
I was standing in the middle of the road, South Tyron street; 5th street to be exact. After being blocked entry from the dance club because they did not think I could dance with my Woodlands shoes or may be they got scared that I might hurt someone's feet. Explaining that the heels of the girl who went infront of us can punch a hole in every foot inside and my shoes are harmless compared to that did not impress the guards. So left with nowhere to party, we waited with the crowd for the light to change to green. And we were crossing the road when the clock showed 12:00AM with everyone busting to shouts and screams. Yes! I crossed the 5th street of South Tyron in the New Year eve.

2. Who was the first one to wish you?
Few minutes after the year changed, some drunk girl wished everyone on the road and unfortunately I was there next to her when she wished aloud those words that included the four lettered forbidden word in the middle.

3. Who was the first one you wished?
Srikanth. After returning to the car, we realized that we haven't really wished each other and said it before some other drunk can take the chance.

4. What did you eat first in the start of the New Year?
It took about an hour before I could taste anything in this New Year and it was a Milkyway chocolate bought for my last birthday laying frozen in the refrigerator.

5. The most important question: What is the New Year resolution?
My resolutions are very fragile in nature and I always leave them on the edge of the table which results in breaking them as earliest as I can imagine. But here are some resolutions that I probably should take for the New Year.

  • Watch the calories - This is the resolution that I make and break almost every day.
  • Think before you spend - Definitely important one considering the shopping spree I made in 2007. Atleast I must not buy anything more than the already existing purchase list.
  • Follow Gita's words - I am talking about Bhagavad Gita here. "Do your duty. Don't expect its benefits"
  • Spend more time on blogging - It is not a resolution. But its a desire towards my passion. This should not be a difficult one compared to the other resolutions.
  • Learn cooking - After seeing the movie Ratatouille, I realized the true meaning of "Anyone can cook". But the question that remains is "Can everyone eat" what I cook?

!Happy New Year!

No comments: