Wednesday, September 27, 2006

999 for emergency

The time was around 7PM and I was in office just browsing the internet. It was Friday and still I didn't want to go home. I thought it would be a normal evening but I got the call that would make the day a different one.

Me: Hello! Jey here
Sq: It's me da.
(It's my roommate who left early by 6:30PM)
Me. Yes Boss! Whats up.
Sq: I am in Chobham road and some 12 guys are chasing me.
Me: (Doubtfully) What? Don't start a prank
(He is known to play prank at others)
Sq: Seriously da. I…walking on the road…. Many guys ran towards me…. One hit my neck…. I am in a shop… they are still out there….. I don't know…
Me: Dai… Slow down and tell clearly.
Sq: (Scared) They were trying to take my laptop… I somehow got into the nearby shop…. Should I call the police?
I became totally confused whether to believe him or not. But his tone told me that he is serious.
Me: Hey… are you sure? Who are they?
Sq: Don't know man. There were both white and black guys and from kids to big guys…. They….
Me: ….Just check if they are still out there. If you see them, call the police immediately. You know the number? Its 999
Sq: Wait. I am checking the outside. They were standing on the opposite side of th….AAAAAAAAH!!!!!
The line went dead. That's the end.

I couldn't believe the line went dead. I got tensed and started shouting "Hello" repeatedly at the dead line. Something has happened and I feared against the worst.
I tried dialling his number. It's dead. Again... It's dead.
I have to call the police now. Damn. My fist emergency call to Police.
I dialled 999 and waited for the police officer. I also became tensed and was trying to calm down myself.
A lady voice started speaking….

"All operators are currently busy. Please hold the line. An operator will speak to you as soon as possible."

WHAT?????????????????????? Not this automated message in Emergency calls please. There is a guy who is in grave danger and the emergency line asks me to hold. I was about to burst my anger to that automated message, when the phone was answered.
I started telling the incident directly just to be stopped in the middle, asking if it's a Police, Hospital or Fire emergency. With raising anger, I answered "Police please" and was wondering if the Police phone line would also make me wait. Luckily I got connected immediately.

I somehow got relaxed and explained the officer the incident clearly. He asked my name and details and my room mate's identification like height, weight and color. I had no idea on what to answer. He was bit concerned when I said we are from India. (There were some incidents reported on Asian people in UK recently) I somehow managed and the person was good enough to make me calm and told that he will send police units to that place and my roommate would be fine. I thanked and disconnected the line.

After sometime, one of my colleagues in office called my room mate's number and he got connected. My roommate was so tensed and said that he disconnected the line as he still saw those guys and was calling the police immediately. I felt shouting back at him rather than consoling him. Anyway I felt relaxed that he is still safe in the shop. The police came in 15 mins by which all guys have left the place. Anyway, we didn't plan to file any case and the police dropped him back in the train station as we planned to stay in a friend's house for that night.

Interesting points out of the incident:
Even "Emergency call" lines keeps you wait in the queue.
Does queue in "Emergency calls" mean there is deficiency in staff or increase in emergency cases?
I didn't know the height or weight of a guy who is staying with me for two months. (I don't know even my height)
We learnt that these kinds of crimes are very normal in our area.
It's unsafe to return late nights from office on Fridays and weekends.
I returned from office through the same route at 11PM and 3AM two days back and I thought its safe all the time.
Sq found the perfect reason to get excuse from writing the certification exam on Saturday.

No comments: