Wednesday, March 3, 2004

My name is Neo

Living in the world of computers, sleeping under wires, dreaming about computer viruses, waking infornt of a computer screen........ I have become more of a computer hacker. I am Neo. And I realised I am the ONE.
It was a busy evening as usual with loads of work to complete with still my mind wavering what to do. My friend was using my system, and was browsing through our college website www.drmcet.org. As he went into it he met a section C++ tutorials which was accessible only within the college and not outside. Anyhow he got frustrated when a Login page blocked his entry. He turned to me and asked for any guess for the password. I tried a few times and was not successful. But something clicked my mind, the way the login page was working told me that it is not the usual. Something is wrong with that page. The error was coming in a alert box rather than in the HTML page. I found that the authentication is on the client side which means it is javascript. Which means I can see the source code directly from the page.
The wavering mind got a job to pass some time. I took a look into the source code and computer part of me saw algorithms and keys rather than alphabets and numbers. I spent some quarter of an hour starring at the code and my mind grabbed the authentication algorithm behind the page. I am not Anderson, I am neo.
The stone blocking my path is the encrypted value of the password in the page. The password we type is encrypted to produce a number which is compared with the value of the correct encrypted password. All I have to do is guess a password that will produce the correct encrypted password. my fingers kept on pressing the keyboard with my brain passing the combinations to it. After half an hour of mind work, the page ultimately cracked. I realised that I can do something. But still I was not fast enough to dodge all the bullets. I found the login page accepting the password, but I have not reached the page I want. It showed an error 404. I got frustrated. Something has gone wrong. Though I could break the authentication, I am not in. What happened. I wanted to know the reason. And then the truth showed itself. The filename where the login page will lead to must be of 8 characters and there is a strong probability that the default page name might be used in it. What can it be??????? My mind traced it and found what it should be. My fingers went to press the keys, M A I N P A G E .html........

ENTER

And there I am watching the C++ tutorials without logging in through the login page. I realised who I am. I am the ONE....................Free your mind, Neo

No comments: