Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pin the Donkey tail

Those who do not know about the righteous explanation for the word "Assume", listen here.
Assume is actually ASS-U-ME which means you are making "Ass out of you and me". Take either the literal meaning or the common-lingo for the first part of the word, it holds right in every way. And this is important in particular to the software engineering world for the whole project will be in jeopardy when start assuming things. I first heard about this when I was in the final year and have been very vigilant in not falling to the pit and becoming one. And whenever someone starts with the phrase, "I assume that..." my mind would immediately imagine what he is changing me to and would be ready to stop him/her. A subtle phrase which means the same meaning and most people use is this. "What I think is....." All I could think is "Why should I care about what you think with your tinkling skull?" It always means that you do not know the subject and is just trying to contribute to the confusion. It is always better and time saving to clear it out with someone who says "I know that..."
Through some means, I was out of the "assume" and "think" world for sometime. But I was sucked back to the world of assumptions when we started our new project here. It is about constructing a hydro-electric power plant and replaces the thermal power plant to move towards eco-energy. The problem is that everyone in the team only knows that there should be dam before we can construct the power plant. Neither are we clear on whether there is any dam over that place nor the size of the plant if and all the dam exists. So we started making Donkeys on each other. (I prefer to use the literal meaning). One person said "I assume that the dam is already built and I think we only need to build the power plant." Another stated, "Probably the dam is smaller. We will make the dam larger for our large power plant." I too had a question. "How large should the power plant be?" Again the only answer we had is "I assume it should be for the village near the dam. So it should be smaller". With me being made a donkey, I did not want to leave things as it is and so I joined the group and started drawing donkeys. After all, we will have the meeting with the client only tomorrow to clear things out. Till that time, we can have some fun. "I think that the dam is present. But we might need another dam on which the plant will function." I added to the assumptions. Thus in few days, we created so many donkeys that we could make a sale either to the Indian kids who are scolded to herd donkeys by their parents or it will be easier to sell in America due to the upcoming elections. Again, I am not sure why they refer donkeys with the elections in US. But discussion on that topic will deviate from this post. So, with so many donkeys unleashed, we waited for the meeting which finally happened today. And guess what, we had drawn a huge donkey and even with blind-folds, we were able to stick its tail in the correct place so easily. We had made perfect donkey clones and the fact happened to be that the dam was built for a different purpose and they already have a small power plant for a different purpose. So we might have to build a new dam and a new power plant for which "how" is not yet answered. This again has invited more donkeys to be drawn and we will continue that in the coming days. It is always tough to avoid donkeys (assumptions) in the initial stages of the project. But we are trying our level best not to affect the ecological system (project deliverables).

PS: Please take the above post in a lighter note as I "know" we are bound to make donkeys in the early stage of the project and it is also important to brainstorm the possible options when the requirements are not aptly put on paper by the client.

2 comments:

Satish Pasupathy said...

i think most of the physics and sciences we have spent our life studying is based on ASSUMPTIONS... doesnt say much about them scientists now.... :)

INJEY! said...

In science, asssumptions form theories not laws. In IT, assumptions define projects! Actually it kills projects or the developers at least most of the time.