Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Snooze the fire alarm

After playing computer games till midnight, i slept on fantastic friday with the only thought that I should wake up only after 10 AM. But fate always fights with the thoughts we have and makes the reality unexpected to us. So in my sound sleep, I suddenly started hearing the alarm. I was so sleepy but I could think of my daily mobile alarm that goes off at 7:30 AM. With little strength, i woke up with half open eyes and decided to switch off the mobile alarm. But the mobile was not there on the table. I must have kept it in the winter jacket. I stood up slowly and tried to find the mobile in the dark. My brain noticed that it sounded differently than my mobile. But still my mind wanted to stop the mobile alarm and get back to sleep. With half consciousness that it might not be my mobile, my brain was again telling me that its dark and it couldnt have dawned.

My brain knocked my head again when I found the time to be 4:30 AM. The sound was too loud now and I found the mobile. But the mobile alarm had not gone off. Not able to understand the reason for that sound, my sleepy mind pushed me to check whether the mobile is making these noises. My brain again knocked me to realise the situation and pulled me to look up. Then I found the grave situation. It was the fire alarm. All my senses came back to full alertness and I was wondering what to do. Too many stories and thoughts rushed at the same time and my brain was like 'whooa! cool down man'. I recounted the story in which an Infoscian got trapped in fire when he tried to get his passport before getting to safety. There was the talk that we should run out of the house immediately if the fire alarm goes off. And there was the thought, that it could just be a fire drill. What an idiot i would be to think that someone conducts a fire drill at 4:30 AM in the morning and that in a house. All these thoughts came in just few seconds and I was still standing in my room trying to figure out what to do.

I immediately went outside my room, half of my mind trying to pitcurise fire all over the house and the other half still sleepy and telling it is a fire drill. When I came out of my room, there was no sign of fire and the person staying opposite to my room, came out with the same tiredness and walked downstairs slowly. I really wondered whether I would do the same, in case of real fire. Still I am not sure whether there is real fire downstairs. So I too walked downstairs slowly trying to notice any sign of fire. All other house mates have already gathered and were looking at the fire alarm indicator. Phew! It obviously means its not fire. Must be some fault in the alarm system. We took the alarm manual and read the instructions to reset the alarm. With few codes pressed, the alarm stopped immediately. Thats great.

With the alarm resetted, with no clue to notice if the fire breaks for real, we all went to our room to sleep. I had just reached my room, the alarm went off again. I got frustrated and placed the ear phones into my ears and played songs with high volume. The alarm sound was more louder than that and I got bit worried or rather bit frightened about this. There indeed seems to be fire in the house. Off I went back downstairs and we all had the same expression in our face. "Why cant we just switch off the alarm?" There shouldnt be fire. Everyone needed a sleep I became bold and checked the kitchen for any gas leakage. Everything looked fine. It must be some fault after all. One of the house mate decided to cut the power to the alarm itself. Everyone were ready to face the real fire than to be woken up by the false alarm. We tried entering the codes again, just to find the alarm sounding again and again after 2 minutes. We almost lost the sleep when we decided to disable the alarm instead of resetting it. We noticed that the fault indicator was on in the system.

The house owner had alreay got his signal at this home. I dont know how. May be there is some electonic system that sends some signal to the house owner's home or may be someone just called him and he was on the way. We werent ready to wait for the house owner and we disabled the alarm ourself and went back to get some sleep. I was unsure if the alarm would go off again and I waited for some half an hour till I found no sign of the alarm going off. Atlast, i switched off the music and went for a sound sleep and I woke up only at 11:30 that day.

No comments: