Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Twice Folded Letter - Unfolded

Read here for the folded part of the story.....

We all remained silent during the entire return journey. Our company had arranged for cabs and three of us shared one as our house was on the way to hers. Actually, I was little excited and nervous when she asked if she can share our cab. But I think she did not expect him to accompany us for she looked little disappointed when she saw him already seating on one end of the car. So the entire trip was very calm with her looking at the streets all the time while he was trying to call someone, but it appeared no one was picking on the other end. He looked really worried about not able to reach them, though I was wondering when he charged the mobile as it was down from the evening. I also would have tried to make some fake-important calls, but was restricted as I kept the mobile in the pant pocket and felt difficult to take it without disturbing the both of them. So I resorted to watch my watch ticking every second. Funny it was that it took exactly 60 seconds to count 60 seconds. After a long time of following the minutes and seconds dials, the cab came to a stop infront of our house and we got down and she waved us a whispering Good-bye.
"How could you do that?" he screamed once the cab started. Even the cab driver got scared and braked hard. Finally, we entered the home without any further talks. Then it started again.
"How could you do this to me?" he continued. "I thought you were helping me."
I did not know how to reply to him. So I went to arrange the bed to sleep without hearing anything. "I trusted you a lot. This is how you repay?" he pulled the blanket away. I ignored him and tried to place the pillow on the exact top center of the bed as if it mattered. "Are you listening to what I am saying?" he threw the pillow away to the corner. I walked to the corner and took the pillow wondering if he got the answer as "No". Though I wanted to answer each and every one of his question, I tried hard not to create any emotional scene. "Thank God, she didn't reply anything to you?" he sighed with relief. A wave of shock passed over me. "What do you mean she didn't reply?" I talked for the first time. "She gave me the letter, if you didn't notice?" I remarked.
"Yeah! So?"
"So, it means she replied back, you dumbo"
"Yeah! But it is not like she said I love you"
I was getting irritated now. Either he is not able to accept what happened or he is entirely stupid.
"Are you stupid? She gave me the letter. Which part of my words did you not understand? Anyway, why do you bother? It is not like you love her." I shouted back at him.
"How are you so sure of that?" he barked.
"May be because you told me so tonight. I waited for you to speak all this time and I was unable to express anything because I thought you loved her. Now I knew that she is just a Rolex watch in the showroom to you, I realized that I have to tell her."
"Yeah! Did you think how hard it will be to see someone taking away the Rolex you were looking all the time?"
"What are you? A stupid loaf? Did YOU not hear what I said? I love her unlike you. And SHE LOVES ME."
He became silent then. The sound exchanges between us like this had happened before though nothing serious like today and it created an uneasy feeling. I thought I owe him an apology but did not know how he would take it.
"Did you read the letter?" he asked anxiously.
"No. Why?" I completely forgot about reading the letter. All these unexpected events were difficult to cope at the same time that I did not have the courage to read her letter and saved it for later.
"May be it is not a love letter." he said casually and looked at me as if I am expected to agree with him. I could not believe his words. The patience and all the temper I had inside me burned out but I did not know if letting out my fury will help me in any way. I just stood there clutching my fist wondering if beating myself would be a better way to react.
"I am just thinking... it could be just New Year wishes." he said.
I turned back and went to the balcony trying to avoid him while he continued with his improbable opinions. "... or it might be for someone else".
Why would he think in such a bad way? I thought to myself knowing there is no point of getting angry on him. May be he is just reacting for my actions tonight. Suddenly a small spot of doubt appeared on my mind. Could he really be right? This letter might not be a love letter. She never spoke the words.
The spot of doubt darkened in my mind. I inserted my hands into the pant pocket decided to read the letter. When I couldn’t find in the pocket on the right side, I tried the one in the left. It was not there. I checked the shirt. It was not there too. A sudden panic raised inside me. I ran inside and checked the tables and my book shelf which I had not touched after returning to home. While I was searching around all the books, he inserted his hand in-between and took away a book silently. I turned to him while he walked away never bothered about anything. A doubt crept into my mind suddenly. Could it be possible that he hid the letter? It seemed reasonable. And all his questions about the letter moved the favor against him. But it would be very bad to assume beforehand. I was getting confused and checked my pockets again. Nothing was there. With hard heart not knowing how he would react, I called his name and he looked back from his book upside down in his hand silently. But before I could ask anything, my phone rang. Realizing it is her, I took the call
"Hi" I just said and looked at him staring at me.
"Hi" She replied.
I just waited. "Hi" I repeated.
There was a pause. Then she said "So you read the letter?"
I wondered what to say. He looked away and sat on the couch trying to read the book upside down.
"Yeah! I read it. Thanks" I said. Thanks???? What was I talking?
Another pause. "So you reached safely?" I asked.
"Yeah!" she said "Ok. I just wanted to say Good night. Bye" and disconnected the call.
I kept the phone on the table and looked back at him. He was still pretending to read. I know I had to ask him for the letter.
"I am sorry dude" he said still looking at the book. "I shouldn't have told like that. I just did not know how to react." He was calm and talked without any expression. "I did not expect this. But I am very happy for you. You should really know that." I remained silent. "The call. That was she. Isn’t it?" he asked. "Yes" I felt sorry for him. "So did you read the letter? Was it something else?" he asked slowly raising his head. I hit my forehead with the fist. Some people will never change. My mobile beeped. It was a message from her.
"if u rd th ltr, tel me th last sen10c"
I thought for a while. What could be the most probable sentence at the end of the first love letter? Not having much experience in that, I was able to think only of "Yours faithfully".
"ur name, of course" i replied.
Few seconds passed at which I laughed to myself.
Then came the shattering reply. "too smart. i kno u dnot rd th ltr. YOU DROPPED IT IN BUS"
My fist hit my forehead again.
"She said it. didn't she?" he was eager to hear the story.
I laughed at him and called her back.
"I am really sorry I left it in bus. Please tell me what the letter said? I am ...." she disconnected the call before I could finish.
"You lost her first love letter????" he screamed.
"Atleast you agree that’s a love letter now" I smirked and I got my answer back from her.
A message popped in my mobile.
"... sweeter than Honey! I Love You."
THE END

2 comments:

Shanks_P said...

Ha ha ha .....
Finally it is unfolded :)
Now my mind can rest in peace .....
Nice ending, I liked it this time ;) :D

INJEY! said...

Glad to see that you understood "The End".