Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Gains reveal the losses before

I found a reason to hate my employer today. Working in an Indian IT services company; you are expected and bound to work after hours. To be politically correct, After hours starts when you are snoring loud in your sleep. If you do not usually snore, then you are unlucky to have no after hours and you must work 24 hrs every day. But this had never been a problem to me. For me, it is like what the hell. It is just another hour of staring at your screen. Not a big deal. So things were the same and fine till yesterday. We are working on the client site where after hours are perceived in the dictionary way. Any minute after 6PM at local time zone is termed as after hours. For some, any time after they leave the office (might be even 2PM on Saturdays) are termed after hours. And people don’t really like to be disturbed with work at that time. And for the last few days, I had been following the client time leaving office early by 6PM itself. Don’t ask me why? Many of my colleagues are aware of this blog and they would know the secrets.

So anyway, I was back in my home very early yesterday and after seeing the evening show "Hoodwinked" took a short nap. It was at 10PM which is the time I used to return from office, my phone started to beep. It happened to be a colleague from the client side who wanted me to look at check some code. Though the code was just two lines, the call went on for at least 10 mins more on the courtesy "Were you sleeping?", "Sorry for disturbing you so late?", "I feel so sorry", "You are really helpful" and so many regretful words which made me doubt if the time was 3 or 4AM. 10 PM was the time, I usually think about dinner or time to relax away from work. In the next 15 mins, the job was done and I had to end the call after getting compliments for being so helpful. I felt I was saving the world again. This was not really the reason to hate my employer. If thanks and praises were not enough for working for 15 mins in the early evening, I found a large packet of 100 chocolates at my desk in the morning. Though my employer had given such compliments through "Thanks" mail and Pizza for dinner, a pack of Hershey milk chocolates for 15 mins of work post office hours is like getting paid for working after hours which is a strange thing to happen in Indian IT industries.

Granted with the benefits
I deserve; angry I am,
For the rightful rewards
I was denied earlier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess eating 100 Choco is not good for health...so hereafter fwd some percentage(at least 50)....to me..ok??

INJEY! said...

anonymous,
who talked about eating on the same day. Thats our daily snack! You might get your share when you work after reaching your home at night.