Sunday, March 25, 2007

TAGCA - Another day in the life of a celebrity

Yesterday was just another day of my life as a celebrity. I was invited as the Chief Guest for the first year anniversary of TAGCA. TAGCA stands for Telugu Association of Greater Charlotte Area. My reasons including that I don’t know Telugu was not accepted. Not to disappoint anyone, I accepted the invitation with only one condition. If you had been to the function, you must understand that this is the reason why someone else was announced as the chief guest. I told them that I would come only anonymously, sit along with the crowd and will not even appear for Photos. With greater difficulty they accepted my condition and I went there anonymously. But somehow the reason got leaked and many of my colleagues came to the show to watch me.

The function was good under my indirect presence and I enjoyed a lot watching the dances and songs by the kids. It was very surprising to find the huge number of Telugu people living in Greater Charlotte area. It was very much like India with almost everyone in traditional dresses. Though I saw many persons who would have been interested to talk to me, I avoided them to maintain my anonymity in the crowd. I wonder how many girls I had disappointed yesterday. I even couldn’t get chapathis for the dinner which I would have got easily if they know who I am.

As the event went on for a long time, I was enjoyed it very much along with Viswa singing for two songs which was appreciated by everyone. I was happy that it was all because I didn’t teach him to sing and I was proud of being non-instrumental in his achievement.But then there came the request from the organizers asking me to make a performance in the show. I expressed the fact that I can’t sing in Telugu and also they will not be able to manage the crowd if I dance. But they were unwilling to let go of me and said that I don’t even have to speak. With much thought, I agreed and I and Viswa decided to perform a small skit about the problems of Drunken Shaving.

As I told them, there was no voice for the whole skit and the crowd erupted to cheers looking at the performance. I told the organizers not to reveal my identity and I acted as a drunken guy trying to shave in front of a mirror which was replaced by my servant who broke it. The effect of the skit was such emotional that the audience started crying very early. I had to finish the skit soon to prevent the event becoming sorrowful one. And when the skit was over, there were cheers from the audience that it continued till the curtain was closed. I am not sure of the technical problem that caused the curtain to close before our show was over though.To keep my secret identity, I didn’t even get the Participation certificate.

I promised the organisers that I will be back for the next year, but they said that they don’t want to disturb me from my work anymore. So I left the show after scribbling autographs and talking to some dedicated fans who identified me from my little performance on that day. It was just the usual for a well known celebrity like me.

PS: Few parts of the above post might look like lies. But I assure you they are just fragments of my creativity and imagination.

PPS: On a whole, it was a wonderful event and I enjoyed it completely except that my Blackberry was ringing many times trying to pull me back to work.

No comments: