Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Whats in MY name?

Its just an eight letters word. And its not even Russian to have silent words all over the name. But no person spells it correctly. I can easily count the number of times that my name was spelled correctly by a person in the first time itself and as far as I can remember it is twice. One is my Mother when she named me and second was one of my college friend who wrote the correct spelling mistakenly. The reason is mainly my mom. My name though so common, its spelled in different ways and my mom wrote it in an unique way. And when I say unique, I mean it. I havent seen even a single person with a similar name, spelling in the way I do. So my biggest problem all the time is that I have to spell my name whenever any person asks to write it down. And many of them think they are award winners in spell-bee contest, that they always write wrong spelling even if I had given them my name in writing.

The best example is my driving license. I wrote my name very clearly in my application form yet the spelling came different in the card. Another instance can be seen easily with the certificates that I got for winning different competitions in School. Though I shouldnt be talking high of myself, I admit that I was very studious as well as talented in many ways as my teachers say(dont laugh) and will always end up with lot of prizes and certificates on the Annual day functions. While every kid would be looking at the prize as soon as they get it on the stage, I would be there looking at my certificates checking whether my name is written correctly. There are few certificates that I won in my kindergarden classes that I am worried that I couldn't claim as my own as they were in different spelling. I wonder if my career growth would have been better if I had those. :(

But having an unique name(spelling) has its own advantages too. It makes me unique everywhere and I am always proud of it. There will be no confusion when there are more persons in a group with the same name as mine. I stand up with a different spelling. But its greatest advantage is in the Internet. I can register in many websites with my exact name as the username. I dont have to add any number or some prefix, postfix like hai_____, ____rockstar, itsme___ or _____mail or anything at all. But still I couldnt get email address in Yahoo and Google mail with my name. Someone wrote their name wrongly while creating their email address.

If you feel all these confusions are caused, because my mom wanted me to be unique in every way and decided that my name should also be unique, you are 80% correct. For there is a 5+5% reason that I am unique is the speed in which I speak and how I write.(Read the Top 1 and 4th weirdest thing about me). But I still dont know what the final 10% reason is. And I am thinking of starting an orkut community to search for the reason. These days, it gives better solutions than going to detective agencies.

No comments: