Monday, April 24, 2006

Titanic: who are you?

This is not a review about the movie. I dare not comment on this magnificent masterpiece. I had started one of my New Year watching this movie again and again. It has everything that one can love. Every time, I see a masterpiece like this, I always try to match myself to some role in that movie. Sometimes, I would become a sidekick, a villain or may be even the Hero. I had thought myself to be the Kid in "The Matrix" and of course sometimes as the One.


I went to the CD store last weekend and I bought this movie DVD for 5 pounds. It looked cheap and worth every penny having it as collection. With still a project document to complete, I was tempted to watch this movie and I went on to travel inside the Titanic for 3 hours including the scenes after the Unsinkable sank. I was amazed that though I have seen the movie many times, I felt as if I am watching it for the very first time. It was so fresh and so amazing. Then the same thought came to my mind. If I had been given a chance to be someone in that movie, who could I be? I definitely am not Jack. I am not a Hero here. I am not sure if I am would have done the ultimate sacrifice for Rose.


My mind circled towards a few figures in the movie and I looked more fitting to be Col Hockley or Thomas Andrews. Col Hockley was the rich fiancée who was shown mostly as the villain. Funny to think, but I didn't see the villain part in him at all. As he says he is just a Business man with a different attitude from Jack and Rose or perhaps the common. And I don't say that my thoughts match him. It's his attitude that matches me. "A real man makes his own luck" he says. And that's the best thing I believe in this movie. Whatever happens, it's always you who drives you. I saw myself saying that in the movie and I couldn't match any other role in the movie. And one cannot doubt his love for Rose. He indeed loved Rose than anything. The priceless diamond bought only for her. Not to forget the scene in which he didn't board the life boat, turning back to find here scolding himself for looking for her. He really loved her. It's only that, his meaning of love was different from the meaning of love for Rose. I also imagined myself as Thomas Andrews. I don't know why. May be because he is the one of those who were so proud to build "The Ship of all dreams". May be, because he is the one who says the words that he could never have imagined to say in his lifetime. "Titanic will sink". I saw in him what I am when I am proud and what I am when I had made the biggest mistake and felt guilty for whatever that might happen. If I think more, I feel that I am Thomas Andrews at heart but Col Hockley at my mind. My mind is always about logic and business where my heart balances it attracted towards the lovely outside world. In the end, I am both.



So who do you think you are in the movie? Tell me. You can think of yourself as Jack, who dies for his Love or Rose who gets freed from the unreal world around her or the Captain of the ship or Rose's mom or Jack's friend Fabrizio, "The unsinkable Molly Brown", the musician who plays the song "Nearer My God To Thee" or even Sven, the fortunate unlucky who loses the ticket in the poker game to Jack. Who do you think you are?

No comments: